MONTEVALLO, Ala. (WIAT) — UPDATE (8/19): The two toddlers that were found dead in a hot car Saturday afternoon have been identified.
3-year-old Daniel Garcia and 1-year-old Ivan Salazar both died from pediatric vehicular heatstroke (PVH).
No other information has been released at this time. The investigation is still ongoing.
ORIGINAL (8/15): Authorities are investigating after two brothers, a 1-year-old and 3-year-old, were found dead in a vehicle Saturday afternoon.
Authorities responded to a location near Highway 25 and Reynolds Cemetery Road in Montevallo around 3 p.m.
The Shelby County Coroner, Lina Evans, is calling this a “tragic accident.” According to Evans, the brothers were playing outside the family’s home and entered the vehicle.
The children were not able to get out of the vehicle and were discovered dead, Evans reports. Family members were looking for the boys but it is not clear how long the children had been unaccounted for, or how long they were in the vehicle.
At this time, the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office is investigating and the two brothers’ bodies have been sent off awaiting an autopsy.
- BPD: Heavy police presence in Gate City community after shots fired
- Ozark veterinarian charged with 2 counts of animal cruelty
- Mobile church: ‘Black Lives Matter’ banners to stay despite thieves
- Boaz hospital begins $61M expansion, including new beds
- Andrew: Philip’s death has left ‘huge void’ in queen’s life