TROY, Ala. (WIAT) — The late civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis’s six-day celebration of life began Saturday morning in his hometown of Troy.
Watch the entirety of the congressman’s memorial service, celebrating “The Boy from Troy,” in the video below. This event took place at 10 a.m. Saturday at Troy University.
Saturday evening, Lewis’s body will journey to Selma, Alabama for a service at Brown Chapel A.M.E. Church from 6 p.m. until 11 p.m. CT. Mourners will say their goodbyes to Lewis following the service.
Lewis’s body will travel Sunday morning to Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma for his “final crossing”–55 years after Lewis suffered a cracked skull in an attack on voting rights marchers that became known as “Bloody Sunday.”
The remainder of Lewis’s weekend celebration of life events will stream live here.
- ‘MAGA Patriot Party’ files with FEC; Trump team says it’s not affiliated
- Central AL Forecast: Severe Weather Threat Ending Across Central Alabama This Morning
- People trapped, roads impassable after Alabama tornado
- Environmental groups and ABC Coke reach new settlement
- Senate Republican leader McConnell offers support for power-sharing deal with Democrats