Heisman Trophy winner DeVonta Smith of Alabama is winner of the Maxwell Award as the college football player of the year.
Smith also won the Walter Camp player of the year and the Biletnikoff Award as the nation’s top receiver. Four other Alabama players won awards during the College Football Awards Show.
Smith won the Maxwell over Crimson Tide quarterback Mac Jones and Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence.
Smith became the first wide receiver to win the Maxwell since Michigan’s Desmond Howard in 1991. Howard also won the Heisman that year.
- Alabama educator, wife charged with faking child’s illness
- Catching up with Cameron Brate ahead of playoff matchup with Saints
- Hawaii security guard bikes miles to return lost wallet, community buys him new car
- House Democrats revive push to abolish Electoral College
- Third stimulus check: Here’s when you might get a $1,400 direct payment