HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) — There have been plenty of films made right here in the Yellowhammer State. In fact, there are so many that CBS 42 couldn’t fit all of them in one article.
Last December, CBS 42 posted an article entitled, “Did you know these hit movies were made in Alabama?” On that list, films like “Get Out,” “Blue Sky” and “Big Fish” were included. Those movies were shot in areas like Fairhope, Wetumpka, and Selma.
To see News 19’s first list of movies filmed in Alabama, click here.
As stated above, there were so many films made in Alabama that it warranted another list. News 19 compiled a second list of films that were made from Mobile all the way to Scottsboro.
I Still Believe (2020)
- What’s it about? This biographical film follows the story of Jeremy Camp, a contemporary Christian musician, and his wife Melissa, who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer before they married.
- Who starred in it? KJ Apa, Britt Robertson, Melissa Roxburgh, Nathan Parsons, Shania Twain, Gary Sinise
- Where was it filmed in Alabama? The movie was entirely filmed in Mobile, Alabama.
- Did you know? One of the film’s concert scenes was shot at Gulf Shores’ Hangout Music Festival and featured actual concertgoers.
Sister Sister (1982)
- What’s it about? The film follows a stressed family, namely a pair of sisters, who try to maintain their revered father’s home. The original story was written by Maya Angelou.
- Who starred in it? Diahann Carroll, Irene Cara, Rosalind Cash, Dick Anthony Williams, Paul Winfield
- Where was it filmed in Alabama? The film was shot in Montgomery and Opelika, Ala. despite being set in North Carolina. The Old Ship A.M.E. Zion Church in Montgomery was used for the interior church scenes.
- Did you know? The movie was shot in 1979 but was shelved for three years before landing on NBC in 1982.
Need for Speed (2014)
- What’s it about? Based on the video game franchise of the same name, a street racer framed by his wealthy business associate sets out for revenge.
- Who starred in it? Aaron Paul, Dominic Cooper, Imogen Poots, Scott Mescudi, Ramon Rodriguez, Rami Malek, MIchael Keaton, Dakota Johnson, Harrison Gilbertson.
- Where was it filmed in Alabama? While most of the film was shot in Georgia, portions of the movie were shot in Phenix City, Alabama.
- Did you know? “Need for Speed” was just the third action flick made by DreamWorks Pictures after 1997’s “The Peacemaker” and 2002’s “Minority Report.”
- What’s it about? The follows the story of Jackie Robinson, the first African-American man to play Major League Baseball in the modern era.
- Who starred in it? Chadwick Boseman, Harrison Ford, Nicole Beharie, Christopher Meloni, Andre Holland, Lucas Black, Hamish Linklater, Ryan Merriman
- Where was it filmed in Alabama? The film was shot partially in Birmingham, Ala. with additional filming in Chattanooga, Tenn. and Macon, Ga.
- Did you know? At the time of its release, “42” broke the box-office record for the best opening weekend for a baseball movie ever.
Death Ship (1980)
- What’s it about? A mysterious freight ship rams and sinks a modern-day cruiser ship – leaving the survivors to climb aboard the ghostly vessel.
- Who starred in it? Richard Crenna, George Kennedy, Nick Mancuso, Sally Ann Howes, Kate Reid
- Where was it filmed in Alabama? Most of the filming happened in Mobile, Ala. and the Gulf of Mexico.
- Did you know? The setting for the film is the Caribbean Sea, but all of the exterior water shots were filmed in the Gulf of Mexico.
Just Mercy (2019)
- What’s it about? The film follows the young lawyer Bryan Stevenson who represents Walter McMillan, a man wrongly convicted of murdering a young woman in the 1980s.
- Who starred in it? Michael B. Jordan, Jamie Foxx, Rob Morgan, Tim Blake Nelson, Rafe Spall, Brie Larson
- Where was it filmed in Alabama? The filming for “Just Mercy” was split between Montgomery, Ala., and Atlanta, Ga.
- Did you know? “Just Mercy” was offered free to stream in June 2020 as a response to the death of George Floyd.
- What’s it about? A young woman becomes convinced that her family’s deaths and misfortunes are all the fault of an antique mirror.
- Who starred in it? Karen Gillan, Brenton Thwaites, Katee Sackhoff, Rory Cochrane, Annalise Basso, Garrett Ryan Ewald
- Where was it filmed in Alabama? Filming went on for three weeks in Fairhope, Ala. in 2012.
- Did you know? This was the first American role for British actress Karen Gillan.