MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — U.S. Sen. Doug Jones is criticizing Republican challenger’s Tommy Tuberville’s financial record that included a nonprofit with a questionable giving record.
The Associated Press and The New York Times reported this week that the Tommy Tuberville Foundation spent one-third or less of its money on charitable activities to help veterans. Jones said Wednesday that his analysis indicated that only about 18% of the foundation’s money went to veterans while the foundation hosted a golf tournament and owned a truck.
Tuberville’s campaign has defended the work of the foundation and accused Democrats of spreading lies.
- WATCH LIVE: Birmingham announces free service to assist residents with financial issues from COVID-19 pandemic
- Florida man received $1.9 million in coronavirus relief funds, used money to buy Mercedes, prosecutors say
- Aunt mourns 14-year-old boy with Asperger’s beaten to death in Hermitage home
- Alabama Senate candidates talk policy, opponents in exclusive raw interviews
- As US hits highest 7-day average for virus cases, these states are hardest hit