BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Alabama health officials have issued a warning about inaccurate posts circulating on social media about the COVID-19 vaccine.
According to Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) officials, multiple false posts claim someone in the state who received the COVID-19 vaccine died Tuesday.
“These posts are untrue, and no persons who received COVID-19 vaccine in Alabama have died,” ADPH said in a statement.
ADPH says they reached out to all hospitals in the state that have administered the vaccine and confirmed there have been no deaths of vaccine recipients.
“Hospitals in Alabama continue to work diligently to protect the health and wellbeing of frontline healthcare workers in their fight against this deadly virus,” ADPH said in the statement. “All safety standards and post-vaccine monitoring procedures are in place to ensure the health and wellbeing of vaccine recipients in Alabama.”
ADPH officials urge Alabamians to stop the spread of rumors by relying only on credible sources of COVID-19 information, sharing this information, and discouraging others who are sharing information from unverified sources.
Below are sources recommended by the ADPH for COVID-19 and vaccine information:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Vaccinations and Immunizations
- Immunization Action Coalition (IAC)| Evaluating Online Health Information
- Medical Library Association – Find Good Health Information
- University of California San Francisco Evaluating Health Information
- World Health Organization WHO Vaccine Safety Net