BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Monday evening, heavy machinery including a crane arrived at Linn Park to remove the 52-foot-tall Confederate Soldiers & Sailors Monument.
This comes after protesters began vandalizing the monument Sunday evening during a George Floyd protest. Mayor Randall Woodfin showed up to the protest Sunday night asking protesters to stand down and give him 24 hours to get the job done removing it.
- Warming up today and Friday. A Weather AWARE is in effect for Saturday
- WEATHER AWARE: Early Morning Storms Saturday
- Pelham Police making preparations for safe Christmas parade
- Birmingham Organizing Committee gives update on preparations for upcoming World Games
- Alabama leaders looking for unified approach to broadband internet access