HOOVER, Ala. (WIAT) — The Hoover Police Department arrested 20 people during a protest over George Floyd’s death in the city Saturday night.
Officers responded to protests that occurred on Montgomery Highway near Hoover City Hall and on Riverchase Galleria property. According to a Facebook post made by the HPD, the majority of charges against the protesters were disorderly conduct and blocking traffic on the street. Others were charged with criminal trespassing and resisting arrest. One person was charged with carrying a firearm.
Jared’s Jewelry store on Galleria Circle and Von Maur at the Galleria also sustained damage to their windows during the protest.
There were no injuries reported to any protesters or police officers.
- ‘It can be done by anybody’: Examining the art of origami
- Fairfield students, families prepare to head back to school
- 2 dead following reported domestic incident in Piedmont
- Power lines, poles down in Brookside following Saturday storms
- ‘We’re just playing a sport’: US Olympic athletes on mental health challenges