MADISON COUNTY, Ala. — Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall said Friday that he has filed a lawsuit against Madison County for its removal of a Confederate monument from the county courthouse property in downtown Huntsville.
Marshall said the removal of the monument violated the Memorial Preservation Act passed by the state Legislature in 2017.
The Madison County Commission had the monument moved to Maple Hill Cemetery in Huntsville on Oct. 23. Commissioners have said the relocation of the monument to Maple Hill, where Confederate soldiers are buried, was done lawfully.
According to Marshall’s office, the county could face a $25,000 fine for the monument removal.
You can read the lawsuit by clicking the link below.
- Local warming shelters to open as temperatures drop below freezing
- 1 suspect in custody in police chase that caused BPD cruiser accident
- 1 killed, 1 injured in vehicle accident in east Birmingham
- Zoom invite scam: Don’t click that phony ‘reactivate’ or ‘reschedule’ link!
- Birmingham church burglary suspect arrested