8-year-old accidentally shoots himself, injuries said to be life-threatening

UPDATED (6:30PM) -- An 8 year-old boy has undergone surgery after suffering an accidental, self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head.  According to Birmingham Police, they got a call from Fairfield Police around 9:00 a.m. Thursday morning.  The 911 call initially went to Fairfield's dispatch.  The child's uncle had discovered him; injured, inside of a car that was parked at St. Joseph's School in Ensley.  The boy's uncle had gone inside the school to drop off the victim's sibling before taking him to his school.  Instead, he rushed the boy to UAB Hospital where paramedics transported him to Children's of Alabama.

Police could not comment on where the gun was being stored in the vehicle, and said that they are still investigating the circumstances leading up to the moments before the gun went off.  "But the reality is, it was unsecured," said Lt. Sean Edwards with the Birmingham Police.

When asked whether or not police were anticipating any charges, Edwards responded, "We're going to do our due diligence.  There's some neglect here, and so we're going to make sure we do our best as it relates to holding someone accountable.  We know it's an accident, and we want the 8 year-old boy to pull through--but we really have to send a message to people saying, listen.  You've got to make sure you secure your firearms.  If not, something as tragic as this will happen."

No charges have been filed at this time.  Check back for updates on the boy's condition and the progression of the investigation.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) -- According to Lieutenant Sean Edwards, the Birmingham Police Department is investigating an accidental shooting of a child.

The child's great uncle was taking the victim and another sibling to their school and daycare Thursday morning. He left the 8-year-old in the car during drop-off, but discovered the little boy had a gun shot wound to his upper body when he came back.

The child was taken to UAB Hospital and then transferred to Children's Hospital. Chief Roper was among the people who have come to Children's to see about the child's condition. We are told he is currently in surgery and his injury is life-threatening.

The uncle is cooperating with investigators to see exactly how this happened. There have not been any charges filed at this time, but that is still a possibility.

In the meantime, Birmingham Police tell us they are praying for the victim to pull through. They are describing this as a terrible accident, but also want to acknowledge that adults have to be responsible with their firearms to prevent tragedies like this from happening.


More Stories