HAVANA (AP) - Seven people have died of poisoning after consuming black-market methyl alcohol and 41 others remained hospitalized, Cuban authorities said Wednesday.
A Health Ministry report read out on the state TV afternoon news said numerous people began showing up at Havana emergency rooms Monday exhibiting symptoms of "serious poisoning."
They were determined to have consumed methyl alcohol, also called methanol or "wood alcohol."
The substance is used in labs and research centers but is highly toxic for humans, potentially resulting in death or permanent health problems including blindness.
The Health Ministry said the victims bought the deadly booze from a black-market merchant who procured it from two pharmaceutical employees.
Eight of the 41 people still hospitalized were in serious condition.
The ministry urged anyone who may have consumed the alcohol and was experiencing symptoms such as nausea, headaches, vomiting or vision problems to seek urgent medical attention.
Although it is not common, Cuban authorities occasionally report incidents of mass poisonings from food or moonshine liquor obtained from illicit sources.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
A 47-year-old Bessemer man was taken into custody Thursday and charged with illegal possession of a credit card.
The firefighters from Station 4 in Alberta have been dealing with some extenuating circumstances for nearly three years.
Resident of North Birmingham gathered at Hudson School in Collegeville Thursday to find out what's next for three neighborhoods following soil testing at thousands of homes by the Environmental Protection Agency.
State Department of Corrections officials say they're searching for an inmate who escaped from a community-based facility in Alexander City.
Longhorns coach Mack Brown talked with reporters Thursday for the first time since reports surfaced this week that he could be stepping down.
Texas teen Ethan Couch claims that his condition stemmed from having wealthy, privileged parents who never set limits for him.
Students at Hokes Bluff have been evacuated as a precaution after a number of children began experiencing medical problems within a short period of time.
Sumiton Elementary Middle School Assistant Principal Chris Stephenson created the club “Leaders By Example.” It’s a service organization that has students invest their time into the school and the community.